Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Great ride!

I rode Princess tonight.  On the whole, we had a very nice, productive ride!  We did some walking and bending and changing direction.  Some trotting, trying to circle without being totally drunken or giraffe-like.  He had moments here and there where he did things right, or at least was closer to being right.


I know, looking at the video, you're thinking "that's good?!"  But really, it is.  He was trying to do what I wanted.  He's spent the last 9 or 10 years running fast in counterclockwise circles.  It's going to take time to get him to bend his body and relax.

However, I really need to carry a whip.  My poor legs get so tired very very quickly on him.  He makes me appreciate my old guy.

I ended the ride with a couple of turns on the forehand, which were shockingly good considering I think I've only tried it on him once before.  Then I asked him to back.  Attempt #1 involved opening his mouth. shaking his head, and eventually putting his nose on the ground and stretching forward while backing up.  Which is every bit as uncomfortable as it sounds.  Attempt #2 was much much better.  He still fussed with his head a little, but I can deal with that for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment