Friday, May 24, 2013

I'm really starting to worry.

River has been good for a while now.  Like, really good.  I don't know how long this can last.. I'm kind of hoping he's naughty just so we can get it out of the way for now.

Last night I got to the barn and wasn't sure about riding.  So I asked the BO if I wanted to ride.  She informed me that yes, I did want to ride.  So I rode.

I set up 3 trot poles, a little over 3 feet apart.  Normal trot spacing.

He proceeded to canter and/or jump it.  Repeatedly.  I'm pretty sure he thought it was a bounce?  Which doesn't make sense, because the one and only time he's done a bounce (free jumping), he was very confused by it.  *shrug*  So I just half-seated the poles and let him do his thing.  He'd be silly, and I was literally laughing out loud at him.

He loves the stretchy trot.  Loooooves it.  It's hard getting him on the bit normally, but ask him to stretch and he reaches right down for it.  Here's another pic from yesterday when my friend was riding him.  I was hoping to get someone to take video of me last night, but no luck *sadface*.
He needs to stretch forward more, but it's not bad.  (I've already made fun of friend's equitation, so no need for anyone else to :).)

By the time I was done, he was so foamy!

His head looks really weird.  His eye is huge and his muzzle is tiny.




















































The judge for our Intro A dressage was very right about him needing to accept the bit on the right side.  As you can see, he's got lots of foam and saliva on the left, but none on the right.  Eeek!

Anyone have advice for getting an old warhorse to soften on the right?

Good news!
A wonderful event trainer is at our barn for the next few months!  I've talked to her about lessons, but we'll have to wait a week or two to get things sorted out--she's crazy busy now.  If nothing else, I can ride while she's riding and she can give me some input.  Hey, we'll take what we can get!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I was suspicious of my horses when they were unusually good too. It's like they're waiting to catch you off guard.

    Gorgeous horse btw!

    www.unscheduleddismount.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poor Riv, I complain when he's bad and I complain when he's good! He just can't win, lol.

      Delete